Need for the Conversion of OST to PST Files
What is an OST file?
Microsoft Outlook, the most popular email client, stores all messages, contacts, calendar events, notes, journals and other items in PST file. When Microsoft Exchange server account is used, all email messages, calendar, and other items are delivered to and saved on the server. A local copy of these items can also be saved on computer in another outlook data file i.e. OST (offline storage table) file. Effectively, OST files make offline working possible in the Outlook. Also, OST helps users to access their email data during problematic situations like Exchange Server crash, Server downtime and accidental user account deletion.
Is it Necessary to Backup OST?
It is not necessary for the Outlook user to keep a backup of OST, as it is only a copy of the PST. Even if the OST is lost, deleted or damaged, it can be recreated from PST.
How to Recreate OST?
If you face any problem with OST, there is no need to repair it; just recreate it. Usually this is performed when OST is missing or when it is facing serious synchronization issues. Follow the steps given below to recreate OST (the steps given are for Outlook 2010):
- Exit Outlook completely.
- Go to the Control Panel and open Mail (after opening the Control Panel, you can use the Search box or Address box to locate Mail).
- Go to the Email tab, select the Exchange account and click Change.
- Keep the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox unchecked and click More Settings.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click Offline Folder File Settings.
- Click Disable Offline Use; then click Yes on the dialogue box.
- Click Offline Folder File Settings again; click OK.
- Click Yes when the dialogue box appears.
- Check Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox under Cached Exchange Mode Settings.
- Click OK; click Next; click Finish.
- Close Account Settings dialogue box and Mail Setup dialogue box.
Now, open your Outlook and synchronize your OST with PST (possible only if Exchange Server connectivity is available).
Need for the Conversion of OST to PST
When the Exchange Server crashes or goes down, or when your user account is deleted by mistake, you will not be able access your OST files. It means that you will not be able to access your Outlook emails, contacts, and calendar events until your Exchange Server problem is fixed. Is it possible for you to continue without accessing it for such a long period? If not, you need to think of converting your OST to PST. OST to PST conversion allows you to access your mailbox items again.
How to Use Kernel for OST to PST for OST to PST Conversion?
When OST is not accessible, we can convert our OST to PST and access them using Outlook. After downloading and Kernel for OST to PST, follow the steps given below to perform OST to PST conversion:
- Launch the Kernel for OST to PST (and click the Repair button if the Select corrupted source OST file dialogue box is not open).
- Browse the required OST using the Browse button (or search for OST files using the Search button and select the required file when the list of OST files is displayed after the search); click OK.
- Click OK when the Information dialogue box appears.
- Go through the recovered items when they are displayed for a preview.
- Select the required folders on the left pane and select a saving option and proceed as per screen instructions. As saving options, you have:
- PST, DBX, and MBOX
- HTML, MHTML, TXT, RTF, MSG, EML, and PDF
- GroupWise, IBM/Lotus Domino, Exchange Server, and Office 365
- Yahoo, Gmail, Google Apps, AOL, Outlook, iCloud, and company IMAP account
Apart from the procedure given above, this software is equipped with an Advanced Scan option. This option should be used if the conversion is not complete with the option described above.
Download the Trial Version of Kernel for OST to PST
Kernel for OST to PST works with all Outlook versions above 97. And it can be downloaded with all Windows OS versions. Its trial version, the version with restricted saving option, is available for free download. By performing an OST to PST conversion using this trial version, you can come to know more about its features and functionalities. The trial version has a limited saving capacity of 25 items per folder. You can proceed to purchase it if you are happy with the performance of this trial version.